Headache Sufferers, Listen Up!
There are many different types of headaches, but one of the more common, and often debilitating, is a migraine headache.
A migraine headache is usually an intense, throbbing pain on one or sometimes both sides of the head. Most people experiencing a migraine headache feel the pain in the temples or behind one eye or ear, although any part of the head can be involved. Beside pain, migraine also can cause nausea and vomiting and sensitivity to light and sound. Some people may also see spots or flashing lights or have a temporary loss of vision.
Migraines can occur any time of the day, though it often starts in the morning. The pain can last a few hours or up to one or two days. Some people get migraines once or twice a week. Others only once or twice a year. Here are some tips to help you from being one of the 29.5 million Americans who will experience a migrane this year:
- Eat at regular intervals. Hunger is a migraine trigger. Avoid known food triggers, including chocolate, alcohol/wine/beer, dairy products, citrus, fried foods, pork, onions, tea/coffee, and seafood. Foods that contain nitrates, MSG or aspartame (NutraSweet) can trigger migrains.
- Stay well hydrated with 6-8 glasses of water each day. Avoid caffeinated beverages. Eat a diet rich in antioxidants and omega 3 fats.
- Sleep 6-8 hours each night. Migraines have been linked to lack of sleep as well as excessive sleep.
- Avoid strong odors like room deodorizers, perfume and smoke.
- Avoid spending time in rooms with fluorescent lightning or near computer monitors that flicker. Avoid glare. Have your eyes checked regulary by an optometrist to minimize the effects of eye strain. When using computer monitors, consider antiglare screens and proper lighting. Newer LCD and Plasma screens minimize flicker.
- Avoid freqent use of over-the-counter (OTC) medications, as these have been shown to increase the likelihood of progressively more frequent "rebound headaches."
If you suffer from heacaches, we may be able to help. Chiropractic care is a proven treatment for many types of heacaches including migraines. And our conveneient hours and affordable fees won't leave you with any other type of headache! CAll us today at 401-515-4435 to see if we can help you.